by Prof. Yemi Osinbajo SAN
0n Tuesday 12th October,2010
Obafemi Awolowo Institute of Government and Public Policy (OAIGPP)
DEFINING THE PROBLEM
Defining the “political institutions”
- INEC, Security Operatives, Legislature, Judiciary, political parties
- Widely defined means all constitutionally created institutions concerned with elections
Why is electoral Integrity important?
- Peace is possible only if fair process of choice of leadership is in place
- Reason for crisis in many African States Isuccession politics
- Failure: Systemic or Partial?
- Inadequate time to prepare for registration & elections
- Undermanned registration & polling booths
- Faulty method of moving voting materials
- Shortage of registration & voting materials
- Manipulation of facts & figures in elections & returning winners
- Non acquisition of budgeted material & manpower
- Umpires elections for the highest bidder
- Its exhibits and testimony in court is seldom untainted by favoritism
Three conflicting “final” presidential results.
– Atiku v Yaradua (2008)
DOWNLOAD FOR MORE